Friday, April 2, 2010

Wir feiern die ganze Nacht

Today is Good Friday. Today, 1975 years ago, Jesus was crucified. In order to celebrate, The Germans have taken to their favorite form of celebration: Staying at home.

In the US, I never really noticed that such a holiday was so significant for other people. Oftentimes, I would be informed that it was Good Friday a few hours into the day, when somebody in one of my classes mentioned it. Here, I was informed a whole week ahead of time. I was told to mark it on my calendar. I was told to prepare by going to the grocery store on Wednesday to avoid the hordes of people crowding the stores Thursday afternoon. I was told to find a way to entertain myself for a whole four days without stores to shop at, restaurants to eat at, or buses to ride.

So I checked out season three of "Die Simpsons" and watched a few episodes this morning. I have a list of chores I need to do (the dishes in the sink beg to be cleaned) and a book I should finish. Hopefully these three things will get me to Monday, when I hop on a train for....

VIENNA!

But in the meantime, I beg you to wonder about something. If the United States has, on average, 60% of its population regularly attending Christian religious services compared to Germany which has on average less than 30%, why does Germany take every available religious holiday off (as well as the Monday following), while the US is lucky to get Christmas off?

1 comment:

  1. Eye on the prize Adam, You will be able to tell your Grandchildren these stories.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete