Friday, February 26, 2010

Day Three on the Thames

London, Day 3

I woke up late today. It was almost 10am before I got out and about. When I finally was dressed and was ready to go, I meandered down Holborn Street, crossed over the Holborn Viaduct (which used to go over the Fleet River, which has since been buried in favor for more developable land for the City), and found the part of London which made me melt inside.

If there were any reservations about my chances for living in London, they quickly dissipated as I walked down the streets of the Borough of Holborn. This area looks like a picture out of the Victorian Era. The narrow and tall houses made me yearn for yesteryear of decadently decorated décor and the smell of coal being burnt to warm the flat. While meandering, I found the Charles Dickens Museum, the home (however briefly) of said author, where Nicholas Nickelby and Oliver Twist were penned. The glimpse into the flat of a middle-class household was quite enlightening. Each of the 5 levels is very small, only big enough for 2 rooms and the very small staircase. At that, the rooms were miniscule compared to what we have now. Literally, the rooms were large enough for a bed, a sitting chair, and the fireplace. No space on any floor for the bathroom was made, because indoor plumbing was still a dream of the future. I would have pulled out my pocketbook, had I not been discouraged by the voice of reason.

When I had had my fill of the Victorian lifestyle, I walked, and walked, and walked. I found Covent Garden, took a look at the Royal Opera, and walked some more. Eventually, I found the British Museum. I went in to be greeted by hordes of school children and tourists of a far-eastern variety making lewd poses with the Greek statues. The collection was stunning and impressive. Out of the entire holdings, one (yes, one) room (and a small one at that) housed objects that were actually British. Most everything else was the loot from years of imperial plunder. Funny that it now stands in a museum free to everybody and considered “the world’s museum.”

After exposing myself to artifacts from the world’s history, I partook in one of today’s favorite pastimes: window shopping. The space between Oxford Circus and Piccadilly Circus has some of London’s best shopping. Liberty’s Department Store, Trocadero, Hamley’s, and a slew of chain stores (including Europe’s finest name brands found only in Department Stores – and the San Marcos Outlets).

As I was walking, I had a craving for Pizza, so I decided to try Pizza Express, which, contrary to what one would expect from the name, was really a nice place. Service was pretty bad (somehow the waiter forgot to bring out my Coke and brought out the appetizer with the main course), so I felt no guilt in taking part in the grand European tradition of not leaving a tip, or at least nothing Americans would consider a tip. The total was 8.50 GBP, so I left 9 pounds cash and walked out. Glorious.

It was 7:30 and I was really tired of walking, so I decided to go to the Theatre. I consulted one of the ticket outlets in Piccadilly circus and decided upon “The Lady in Black.” It was wonderful. The theatre was incredibly small (imagine McCullough Theatre at UT, divide it into thirds and stack them), but the performance was spectacular. Well worth my 20 GBP student concession ticket (which, by the way, put me in row D smack in the center.) If I find myself with some more time at 8pm tomorrow night, I may find another show. The west end theatres give many options.

Tomorrow, I’m finally going to go to the Tower of London, if I don’t sleep in too late.

1 comment:

  1. I want pizza. Sounds like you had a good day. Did you take pictures of those houses?

    ReplyDelete