Monday, May 17, 2010

Spargel

It seems like some sci-fi object. Spargel. Beam me up.

Instead, it's asparagus. And it's in season. I've not seen asparagus fever to this extent before. I never thought it would get this bad anywhere. In the US, I've only seen asparagus in the grocery store. It's placed next to other normal vegetables and people grab it when they mistake it for celery or want to stink up a bathroom.

Here, asparagus stands have cropped up. Everywhere. Should you be standing waiting for the bus, you can walk a mere 5 feet and you can fulfill your asparagus craving. It even comes in different varieties. It's like candy! It comes on top of a loaf of pork and they even make a nifty little sauce out of it. Restaurants advertise "Spargel Zeit" in order to entice your patronage.

Has the world gone mad? How could such a banal vegetable receive such celebrity?

I move to celebrate the tomato. I'd much rather have a tomato on top of my pork chop and tomato sauce on top of my pasta.

Topic Change: I have a visitor coming tomorrow. You may follow that blog (with far more wit) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment